Monday, August 22, 2011

Year 2

As August 2011 quickly retreats towards the cesspool of months past, the view ahead reveals coming attractions that both excite and daunt.

First, Boise State football is peeking its beautiful head above the horizon of our lives. It now bears down upon us with the exhilarating speed of a runaway train. A Blue and Orange blur of beauty and power, destination: Georgia Dome, September 3rd. All Aboard!!!

The train and I are headed for a crash course meeting in Toledo, OH on September 16th. The countdown to 2 and 0 begins now.

Second, the excitement of a fall sports season reminds that Fall is indeed on its way and the school year is beginning far and wide. This Saturday (Aug. 27), I embark on perhaps my most harrowing mission to date. I begin my second year at Hillsdale College. My first year of College presented many challenges, provided many learning experiences, opened up new friendships, and fulfilled my fullest expectations. This year I expect more of the same... with a few changes coming that I hope will enhance my experience towards perfection (maturity) in Christ Jesus.

On the school side of things, I am mostly clear of Hillsdale's core requirements, allowin me to focus on the special calling on my life. With that in mind, I am taking two Politics course this semester moving me towards that major. These are Introduction to American Foreign Policy and Regimes: Classical and Modern. To say that I am looking forward to these would be a gross understatement. Not far behind are my two philosophy courses: Ancient Philosophy and Modern Philosophy. These will put me in a position to pursue either a minor or major in this discipline. Rounding out my academic coursework will be a University Physics class. This class serves the purpose of fulfilling a core requirement and giving me a final insight into my decision whether to pursue a minor in this science.

New to this year, I am a member of the George Washington Fellowship. This program is put on by the Kirby Center wing of Hillsdale focusing on research of Constitutional issues. The benefits of this program are both monetary (tuition scholarship) and practical (through it I am automatically accepted to the Washington-Hillsdale Internship Program, giving me the opportunity to intern in DC sometime during my Junior or Senior Year; my plan is for Spring 2013). Not without its costs, I am expected to spend 10 hours a week on "Constitutional Research Service". This will be a large time commitment, basically like adding another class, but I am looking forward to the experience.

Back to the tried and true, I once again plan to participate with the Hillsdale Rugby Football Club. Last year, I learned rugby and enjoyed it immensely. It provides ample opportunity for physical exercise within my budgeted time schedule.

As far as new goals for this year, I plan to: 1. Get more involved with clubs on Campus and make wider connections among those with similar interests; 2. Start a campus chapter of the national organization Young Americans for Liberty, creating greater opportunities for political involvement; 3. Develop deeper friendships; and 4. Deepen my relationship with Christ and use my knowledge to help those that God has given me moment to influence.

All in all, this year is shaping up to be one of the busiest of my life. Your prayers are definitely appreciated. I find great thrill in the amazing plan of God in my life and generally.

Lastly, I hope to keep greater contact with many of you this year so feel free to contact me on Facebook, by e-mail, or via this blog.

Jacob Barrett
Virtue Rejoices in the Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment